Among its accomplishments over the past year, the center has created partnerships with other health groups, advocated for fair reimbursement for psychological services and has produced briefing sheets on psychology's role in addressing many health concerns.
- Psychology's Role in Smoking Decline Continues 50 Years After Surgeon General's Groundbreaking Report
Five questions for psychologist David B. Abrams, PhD
- APA Div. 18 hosts webinar series on gun violence
The series of three hourlong live webinars features speakers from the division’s fall conference on the prediction and prevention of violence.
- gradPSYCH Blog creates community for graduate students in psychology
The American Psychological Association of Graduate Students blog, written for graduate students — and often by graduate students — provides a friendly space to learn and share information.
- ‘Protect Food Assistance,' Urges APA
Letter urges farm bill negotiators not to cut funding to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- APA Executive Director for Education Cynthia Belar, PhD, to retire in June
Senior psychologist sought to lead APA Education Directorate as executive director.
- APA seeks new director of its Office of Sponsor Approval
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply for an immediate, senior level opening in APA’s Education Directorate.
Election Office Update
- 2013 APA board and committee election results
The fall election seats 39 members on APA’s boards and committees.
From APA Publishing
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
This book helps clinicians screen for autism spectrum disorder (ASD), treat higher functioning individuals with ASD, and assist family members. It surveys historical views of the disorder, current diagnostic criteria, co-occurring conditions, etiology, epidemiology, assessment, treatment for affected individuals, and interventions for family members.
- Treatment Integrity
Treatment integrity is the extent to which an intervention is implemented as intended. This book presents the latest thinking on how treatment integrity contributes to evidence-based practice in educational, community, and healthcare settings.
- The Marriage Checkup Practitioner's Guide
This book teaches clinicians how to conduct a Marriage Checkup — a short, two-session, assessment and feedback relationship health check designed to help couples foster intimacy and confront their problems on an annual basis.
Calls for Nominations and Applications
- APA seeks award nominations for distinguished contributions to practice, science, education and more
Nominate colleagues now for awards to be presented at the 2015 APA Annual Convention in Toronto.
- Distinguished Contributions to the Advancement of Disability Issues in Psychology Award
This award seeks to recognize an APA member who has had a significant and enduring impact on advancing the role of psychological principles to enhance the lives of and promote the inclusion of people with disabilities in society.
- Advanced Training Institutes (ATIs)
Advanced Training Institutes expose psychological scientists to emerging technologies and the most current research methodologies.
- Excellence in Librarianship Award
The American Psychological Association’s Excellence in Librarianship Award was created to recognize an outstanding contribution to psychology and behavioral sciences librarianship. The award includes a $2,500 check and an inscribed plaque.
APA member Bradley Klontz, PsyD, in:
There's value in revisiting childhood financial lessons — Chicago Tribune
“Breaking free of problematic money beliefs often requires us to step out of our comfort zone and explore beliefs and behaviors of people different from us.”