A series of Skype lessons featuring APA members will bring psychologists to classrooms across the country to talk about mental health issues.
- Collaboration Between Psychologists and Physicians Important to Improving Primary Health Care
Such partnering would improve diagnosis and access; two known barriers to better primary care outcomes
- Prescription drug overdose is focus of congressional briefing
Psychologists and policymakers examine scope of problem and federal and state responses.
- Psychotherapy’s role in cardiac health topic of new briefing sheet
The new briefing sheet underscores the benefits of psychotherapy, in conjunction with anti-depressant medication, for reducing depression, re-hospitalization and medical costs for depressed patients after a heart attack.
- Employee Distrust is Pervasive in U.S. Workforce
APA survey finds only half of workers believe their employer is open and upfront with them
- APA’s “Speaking of Psychology” podcast wins top award from Association & Media Publishing
The podcast was recognized for helping to illustrate the breadth and depth of psychological science to the public.
- Institute of Medicine releases report of APA-sponsored workshop on establishing transdisciplinary model of professionalism
The IOM report summarizing a new method of addressing common problems in health care is now available in print.
- Raise your voice to help “Speak Up for Kids”
Join APA in raising awareness about the importance of children’s mental health through the Child Mind Institute’s annual “Speak Up for Kids” campaign.
Election Office Update
- Candidates for APA president
Candidates for APA’s next president are: Jessica Henderson Daniel, PhD; Todd E. Finnerty, PsyD; Kurt F. Geisinger, PhD; Susan H. McDaniel, PhD; and Antonio E. Puente, PhD.
From APA Publishing
This journal is a primary reference for professionals who study and treat people exposed to highly stressful and traumatic events.
- Clinical Neuropsychology
This bestselling, comprehensive assessment guide has been thoroughly updated to reflect the latest changes in the rapidly maturing field of clinical neuropsychology.
- Counseling Psychology, Third Edition
Providing a detailed, engaging overview of counseling psychology, this book examines its empirical foundations, its guiding principles, and the methods used in both research and practice.
- Ten Turtles on Tuesday: A Story for Children About Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder
This is the story of an 11 year old girl with obsessive–compulsive disorder. She is confused, embarrassed, and frustrated by her counting rituals; eventually she talks to her mom and they seek help.
Continuing Education in Psychology
- CE Workshops
Select from 81 continuing education workshops at APA’s convention this year, including four presidential workshops and the sixth annual distinguished workshop series.
Calls for Nominations and Applications
- Jeffrey S. Tanaka Memorial Dissertation Award in Psychology
An award for the most outstanding dissertation in psychology which addresses concerns relevant to populations of color.
- Call for Nominations for Journal Editors
APA Division 42 (Psychologists in Independent Practice) has opened nominations for the editorship of a new quarterly journal, tentatively titled Practice Innovations, to begin publication in 2016. Nominations will be considered until selection is completed, but for optimal consideration candidates should apply before March 15, 2015.
- Fellows Committee Call for Nominations
Send nominations by July 4 for two new members to serve three-year terms on the APA Fellows Committee beginning Jan. 1, 2014.
- Nominations for the Committee on Early Career Psychologists
CECP is seeking nominations for three representatives to serve a three-year term (2015-2017).
- Nominations to the APA Committee on Aging
The Committee on Aging is accepting nominations, including self-nominations, for two new members to serve a three-year term beginning Jan. 1, 2014.
Speaking of Psychology
"Speaking of Psychology" is an audio podcast series that gives psychologists the opportunity to talk about their work and share their insights.
Episode 10: The neuroscience of creativity (Rex Jung, PhD)