Focus is on key priorities for psychology and those with mental and behavioral health needs.
- APA Recognizes Four Decades of Success on Capitol Hill
121 psychologists accepted as APA congressional fellows.
- Employers: Celebrate Labor Day By Showing That You Value Your Workers
APA survey links employee recognition to satisfaction, motivation and work effort
- Rural mental health focus of APA-supported conference
The Sixth Annual Rural Behavioral Health Practice Conference will be held Oct. 24 in Morris, Minnesota, and streamed live via webcast.
- APA supports National Memory Screening Day
The Alzheimer’s Foundation of America initiative will set up memory screening sites nationwide on Nov. 19 to highlight the benefits of early detection and intervention.
- PsycINFO® training webinars maximize benefits of subscription
Bimonthly webinars teach attendees how to search and use APA’s databases more effectively.
- Briefing sheet reinforces psychologists’ role in treating breast cancer
Psychotherapeutic interventions are effective in reducing depression and anxiety in patients with breast cancer.
From APA Publishing
- APA Custom Course Books
This page provides information about APA Custom Course Books, which gives instructors the ability to create customized course materials from APA books.
- Qualitative Psychology
This journal creates an outlet for innovative methodological and/or theoretical work that advances qualitative inquiry in psychology.
- The Lives of LGBT Older Adults
This book uses a life course perspective to explore not only the challenges and needs of LGBT older adults, but also their strengths and resilience.
- How I Learn: A Kid's Guide to Learning Disability
This book introduces the concept of a learning disability in concrete terms for younger students. The story reassures readers that they are capable and can use smart strategies to help themselves learn.
- Attachment-Based Family Therapy
This DVD discusses and demonstrates the core principles and clinical strategies of attachment-based family therapy, the theoretical basis of the approach, and the evidence base that supports it.
Continuing Education in Psychology
Calls for Proposals, Nominations and Comments
- Work, Stress and Health 2015: Sustainable Work, Sustainable Health, Sustainable Organizations
The 2015 conference in Atlanta will give special attention to the concept of "sustainability," and the integral role of occupational safety and health in sustainable economic growth.
- Call for Nominations: APA Committee on Associate and Baccalaureate Education
This newly established committee will replace and strengthen the APA Committee of Psychology Teachers at Community Colleges (PT@CC). Nominations are due by October 14, 2014.
- How psychology can help Ferguson heal
APA CEO Norman B. Anderson, PhD, and 2014 President Nadine J. Kaslow, PhD, ABPP, share how psychology can help bring about change with dialogues regarding race relations and the persistence of racial bias.
APA member Galena K. Rhoades, PhD, in:
The decisive marriage — The New York Times
“Prior relationship experience leaves some kind of imprint on us that we carry forward. We compare new partners to old partners.”
"Speaking of Psychology" is an audio podcast series that gives psychologists the opportunity to talk about their work and share their insights.
Episode 14: Preventing suicide (Nadine J. Kaslow, PhD, ABPP)
Additional Call for Comment
- New Haven Competencies (Trauma Competencies)
Submit comments by Nov. 7 for APA’s guidelines informing the education, training and practice of psychologists working with populations exposed to trauma.
Calendar of Events
- Oct. 17-18: New England Psychological Association annual meeting
- Nov. 7: APA Clinician's Corner — Caregiver Family Therapy: An Integrative Intervention for Family Caregivers
- Nov. 14: APA Clinician's Corner — A New Therapy for Each Patient: Evidence-Based Methods to Tailor Treatment to the Individual Client