A publication of APA's Office of Public and Member Communications
October 14, 2014 | Vol. 3, No. 10
- APA CEO Norman B. Anderson, PhD, joins Twitter
Follow @APA_CEO for updates on APA initiatives, projects, positions and actions.
- FDA warns against drugs for child behavior problems
Psychotherapy is an important part of depression treatment, says an FDA Consumer Health Update.
- Suicide Prevention Requires Access to Effective, Evidence-Based Treatment, APA Member Tells Congress
Asks panel to fund critical federal programs
- APA Presents Citation to Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga.
Recognizes his civil rights leadership, advocacy for disenfranchised
- New Editors Appointed
APA announces new editor appointments for APA and EPF journals.
- Psychologists’ role in treatment of colorectal cancer topic of new briefing sheet
The new briefing sheet underscores what psychologists can do through assessment and treatment to ease emotional distress and improve quality of life for colorectal cancer patients.
- Online tool allows members to tailor communications from APA
MyAPA allows members to select which APA newsletters, emails and research alerts they would like to receive.
Election Office Update
- 2014 Board of Directors Election Results
Richard M. McGraw, PhD, and Sandra L. Shullman, PhD, will begin their terms Jan. 1, 2015.
From APA Publishing
- Spirituality in Clinical Practice
This journal is dedicated to integrating psychospiritual and other spiritually-oriented interventions involved in psychotherapy, consultation, coaching, health, and wellness.
- Write It Up
This book reveals how productive researchers plan, strategize, and write compelling articles that influence their field and provides tips for picking journals, cultivating tone and style, and managing collaborative projects.
- Premature Termination in Psychotherapy
This book offers pragmatic, research-based strategies that practitioners can employ to reduce client dropout rates and improve outcomes.
- Psychological Practice With Women
This book presents and illustrates practice guidelines for working with diverse groups of women.
Continuing Education in Psychology
- Call for CE Workshop Proposals for the 2015 Convention
Submit workshop proposals by Nov. 10 for presentation in Toronto that address the lifelong learning needs of the APA membership.
- Approaches to Ethics in Psychology
This three-part series training is designed for mental health practitioners guidance on ethical decision-making and clinical and forensic challenges in professional practice.
Call for Nominations
- Call for Nominations for Journal Editors
APA has opened a call for nominations for editorship of three journals.
APA member Kenneth A. Dodge, PhD, in:
Intervention lowers drug, crime and behavior problems, but not by much
— The Los Angeles Times
— The Los Angeles Times
"By working with children as they grow up we can interrupt violence in the next generation.”
Speaking of Psychology
"Speaking of Psychology" is an audio podcast series that gives psychologists the opportunity to talk about their work and share their insights.
Episode 15: Disciplining children effectively (Alan Kazdin, PhD)
Calendar of Events
- Nov. 14: APA Clinician's Corner — A New Therapy for Each Patient: Evidence-Based Methods to Tailor Treatment to the Individual Client
- Nov. 18: Behind the scenes webinar of PsycINFO on all platforms
- Jan. 23-25, 2015: 2015 Division Leadership Conference