- Council focuses on advancing the field
APA’s Council of Representatives adopts standards for competencies for health-service providers and accreditation of health-service psychology programs.
- APA supports Futures Without Violence report on policy priorities for America’s youth
Psychology’s input was included in the report addressing the need for children to be raised in supportive, violence-free communities.
- APA grant program to examine the value of psychology in health care settings
Psychologists working in health care settings are encouraged to submit a proposal to conduct a review of databases.
- APA offers Advanced Training Institutes for summer 2015
The four institutes in May and June include cutting-edge statistical techniques and research methods with diverse populations.
- 2016 Recording Secretary Nomination
Submit nominations by March 30 for the position of APA recording secretary.
From APA Publishing
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Psychology
This journal features teacher-ready reviews of current research and contemporary theories as well as empirical research designed to foster systematic intentional changes to improve teaching and learning outcomes.
- Handbook of Adolescent Drug Use Prevention
The goal of this book is to help researchers, practitioners, and policy makers prevent drug abuse, primarily among adolescents who either have not used drugs before or have just started using them.
- Happy Together
Filled with positive, life-affirming stories and coping strategies, this resource will help same-sex couples deal effectively with the daily challenges and stresses of homophobia within their family, workplace, and community.
- All My Stripes: A Story for Children With Autism
This is the story of Zane, a young zebra with autism, who fears that his differences make him stand out from other children.
Continuing Education in Psychology
- Approaches to Ethics in Psychology: An online learning series
This three-part series on April 1, 15 and 29 offers mental health practitioners guidance on ethical decision-making and clinical and forensic challenges in professional practice.
- APA Clinician’s Corner — Growing and Sustaining a Private Practice: Opportunities Are Where You Find Them and Where You Make Them
At this workshop offered via live webcast on April 17, Steven Walfish, PhD, will focus on the process of creativity and how entrepreneurial thinking can shape a thriving private practice.
- APA Professional Development Training Institute
Register for APA’s Professional Development Training Institute, March 20-21, to receive intensive training by notable scholars and practitioners, in addition to continuing education credit hours.
Calls for Nominations and Comments
- APA seeks award nominations for distinguished contributions to practice, science, education and more
Nominate colleagues now for awards to be presented at the 2016 APA Annual Convention in Denver.
- APF professional development awards for high school psychology teachers
Apply by April 1 for $500 to help high school psychology teachers travel to and attend the 2015 APA Annual Convention in Toronto.
- APF high school psychology teacher network grants
Apply by May 1 for $3,000 to support the development of local and regional networks of high school psychology teachers.
APA member Michael Kahn, PhD, in:
Rethink Your After-Work Routine to Make the Transition Home a Happy One — The Wall Street Journal
“A mood is like a fever. It’s a signal your system is giving you that something isn’t right.”
Speaking of Psychology
"Speaking of Psychology" is an audio podcast series that gives psychologists the opportunity to talk about their work and share their insights.
Episode 21: Using your mind to find love (Ty Tashiro, PhD)
PsycCareers Jobs of the Month
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Tenured/tenure-track faculty — brain injury and behavior
The Ohio State University
Director of clinical services
Jackson-Feild Behavioral Health Services