Click on a topic below to view resources
- Consumer/Money Issues
- Decision Making
- Environmentally Friendly Behaviors
- Gender Issues
- Health & Well-being
- Improving Human Performance
- Law & Psychology
- Learning & Memory
- Product Design
Showing search results for "Decision Making"
- Are Six Heads as Good as Twelve?
Psychologists show how justice is better served by larger juries.
- Danger Ahead: Risk Communication Leads to Healthier Living
Psychological research shows efforts to change people's judgments about the risks associated with health-related behaviors can successfully change those behaviors.
- Demonstrating the Power of Social Situations via a Simulated Prison Experiment
In 1971, a team of psychologists designed and executed an unusual experiment that used a mock prison setting, with college students role-playing prisoners and guards to test the power of the social situation to determine behavior. The research, known as the Stanford Prison Experiment, has become a classic demonstration of situational power to influence individual attitudes, values and behavior. So extreme, swift and unexpected were the transformations of character in many of the participants that this study -- planned to last two-weeks -- had to be terminated by the sixth day.
- Have Your Children Had Their Anti-Smoking Shots?
Attitude Inoculation dramatically reduces teenage smoking rates.
- Looking for Sound Financial Advice? Look to Psychology
Behavioral economics helps people make better choices with their money, including saving for retirement.
- Making Air Travel Safer Through Crew Resource Management (CRM)
This approach prevents aviation accidents and may soon save lives in operating and emergency rooms.
- Obeying and Resisting Malevolent Orders
Stanley Milgram's famous experiment highlights the powerful human tendency to obey authority.
- Occupational Stress and Employee Control
Employee control over work can reduce stress and enhance motivation and growth. Several key findings have prompted employers to search for ways to give workers a greater sense of control, to improve health, productivity and morale.
- Risky Business: Curbing Adolescent Sexual Behaviors with Interventions
Behavioral intervention programs reduce high-risk sexual behavior in adolescents.
- Shaping Pro-Environment Behaviors
Psychologists are discovering what messages work best to encourage environmentally friendly behavior.