Psychological Science Agenda
A publication of the Science Directorate
December 2006 | Vol. 20, No. 11
SCIENCE BRIEFSSteven Breckler, PhD
"Supporting and Advancing the Careers of Scientists" was the theme of the Science Leadership Conference in 2006.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR'S COLUMN
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Past Participants' Perspectives on the APA Advanced Training Institutes
Past attendees of the Science Directorate's Advanced Training Institutes comment on their experiences.
By Nicolle Singer
- Will you be the Psi Chi Member who goes to Washington?
The placement of an undergraduate Psi Chi member as an intern in the Science Directorate office is a great opportunity for an undergraduate student to get a taste for how a national science organization deals with issues like IRBs, research funding, testing and assessment, and animal research concerns.
- The SciLC Poster Session
The Second Annual Science Leadership conference held a poster presentation that highlighted the research of 22 early career research psychologists in the field of psychological science.
By Stephanie R. Johnson
- Meet the 2006 APA Dissertation Research Award Recipients!
This year, thirty-nine students received a total of $50,000 in awards from the Science Directorate.
By Nicolle Singer
- APA Science Student Council Early Researcher Award Winners Announced
While the APASSC ordinarily grants two $1000 awards --one for basic science and one for applied science--the pool of applicants was so impressive this year that four awards were given--two for basic science, and two for applied science.
By Jane Barrow
- Culture of Service Awards Presented to Newcombe, Balster, Davidson College and the University of Minnesota
By Suzanne Wandersman
- NIH Says Electronic Grant Submission Works for MacIntosh and Windows Users
On February 5, 2007, all who apply for NIH's individual project grants (R01s) will be required to apply electronically.
- Secretaries Chertoff and Rice Tap Roxane Cohen Silver for New Advisory Committee
By Geoff Mumford
- December 2006 Announcements
Call for Nominations for the 2007 APA Science Student Council (APASSC); Applications Available for Undergraduate Summer Science Programs; APA Invites Applications for 2007-2008 Science Policy Fellowship; Call for Nominations: Meritorious Research Service Commendation; Call for Nominations: Neal Miller Distinguished Lecture; Call for Nominations: Master Lecturers and Distinguished Scientist Lecturers
Science Policy Insider News (SPIN)
Keep up with policy issues that affect psychological science at the national level.
Read the December 2006 issue of SPIN