Psychological Science Agenda
A publication of the Science Directorate
September 2009 | Vol. 23, No. 9
How People Organize Their Political Attitudes: The Roles of Ideology, Expertise, and Evaluative MotivationBy Christopher M. Federico
GOVERNMENT RELATIONS UPDATE
- NIH Research Funding Sparks Media and Congressional Scrutiny
Researchers are finding themselves fielding questions about their work's economic impact as well as scientific importance.
By Karen Studwell
- APA Staff Meet with NIH Directors Raynard Kington and Christine Bachrach
NIH leaders are upbeat about the possibilities for science in general and the behavioral and social sciences in particular.
By Pat Kobor
- Science Continues to Monitor New NIH Oversight Board
The Scientific Management Review Board oversees organizational structure and resource allocation across NIH's 27 institutes and centers.
By Geoff Mumford
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR'S COLUMN
FROM THE APA SCIENCE STUDENT COUNCIL
- Graduate School & Postdocs: What Should I Look For?
Keep these tips in mind as you review your options.
By Tara Queen
- Research Funding Opportunities from Federal Agencies
Explore new funding announcements from federal agencies that support research and training in psychological science and multidisciplinary areas.
- NIH Loan Repayment Programs
The National Institutes of Health gives researchers up to $35,000 a year to repay student loans.
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- APA Releases Report on Psychology and Climate Change
The report recommends future research, practice, education and policy directions to address climate change's psychological aspects.
By Howard S. Kurtzman and Nicolle Singer
- New APA Task Force on Psychology as a STEM Discipline
The group will explore why psychology isn't always considered a science, technology, engineering and mathematics discipline and what to do in response.
By Howard S. Kurtzman
- 2009 APA Meritorious Research Service Commendations Awarded
These Board of Scientific Affairs awards recognize federal government and other employees' contributions to psychological science.
- The 2009 APA Summer Science Fellowship Program
This program gives undergraduates a chance to experience advanced psychological methods via seminars and lab activities.
- Michael Posner Awarded National Medal of Science
This leader in cognitive neuroscience will receive the U.S. government's highest scientific honor.