Section 11. Applied Psychology Positions (Other Psychology)
Individuals whose positions may best be described as applied psychology and whose current major field is one other than industrial/organizational psychology are included in this section. Typically, these individuals are engaged in organizational consultation, marketing research, systems/equipment design or other applied psychology activities. There were 127 doctoral-level respondents in these positions in 1997 and their salaries are reported in Figure 11 and Table 11.
The largest single proportion of respondents was employed in consulting firms (31%), followed by 17% who were employed with the government (federal, state, and local) and the criminal justice system. Thirteen percent were employed in business or industry, 12% had individual or group practices, and 8% were self-employed.
With 30% of the respondents, clinical was the most often mentioned field for this group. Seventeen percent indicated that they were in counseling and 7% identified themselves in the broad area of quantitative/mathematics/psychometrics/statistics. Six percent claimed experimental psychology as their subfield.
The overall 11-12-month median salary for doctoral-level psychologists in these positions was $67,000.
- Section 1. Faculty Positions
- Section 2. Educational Administration
- Section 3. Research Positions
- Section 4 Administration of Research
- Section 5. Direct Human Services - Clinical (Licensed)
- Section 6. Direct Human Services - Counseling (Licensed)
- Section 7. Direct Human Services - School (Licensed)
- Section 8. Direct Human Services - Other Psychological Subfields (Licensed)
- Section 9. Administration of Human Services
- Section 10. Applied Psychology Positions (Industrial/Organizational Psychology)
- Section 11. Applied Psychology Positions (Other Psychology)
- Section 12. Administration of Applied Psychology
- Section 13. Other Administrative Positions
- Section 14. Masters - Level Respondents
- Section 15. Doctoral-Level Salaries by Sex, Race/Ethnicity and Years of Work Experience
- Section 16. Doctoral-Level Salaries For Selected Positions
- Section 17. Impacts of Managed Care on Net Income Since 1996