Committee on Ethnic Minority Affairs (CEMA)
CEMA consists of six members of the association with terms not less than three years each. The CEMA have general concern for aspects of psychology that are related to ethnic minorities (American Indian/Alaska Native; Asian-American/Pacific Islander; African-American/Black; and Hispanic/Latina/o). The CEMA serve as the primary resource to the Board for the Advancement of Psychology in the Public Interest (BAPPI) on ethnic minority issues and concerns.
The Committee on Ethnic Minority Affairs shall:
- Promote scientific understanding of the roles of culture and ethnicity in psychology.
- Foster the development of culturally sensitive models for delivery of psychological services.
- Foster cultural diversity in the preparation of psychologists who teach, provide services and conduct research with ethnic minority populations.
- Promote development of more educational and training opportunities for ethnic minorities in psychology.
- Advocate the perspectives and values of ethnic minority psychologists to the Board for the Advancement of Psychology in the Public Interest for formulation of the policies of the Association.
- Maintain mutually supportive and beneficial relationships with other groups of ethnic minority psychologists.
- Assist the Board for the Advancement of Psychology in the Public Interest in maintaining communications of ethnic minority affairs with the association’s membership as well as the community at large.
- Encourage collection and dissemination of information of importance to ethnic minority psychologists and students.
- Tiffany G. Townsend, PhD (email)
- Alberto Figueroa-Garcia, MBA (email)
2014 Chair: Muninder K. Ahluwalia, PhD (2013-15)
Montclair State University
I. David Acevedo-Polakovich, PhD (2012-14)
Central Michigan University
Daniel V. Foster, PsyD (2013-15)
Rosebud Indian Health Service
Sandra Mattar, PsyD (2014-16)
Saint Mary's College of California
Wendy M. K. Peters, PhD (2014-16)
University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
John D. Robinson, EdD, MPH, FACHP (2012-14)
Howard University Hospital