- APA Center for Psychology and Health briefing document highlights psychology’s role in managing chronic pain
Newest health care briefing sheet shows how psychological interventions are an alternative to drugs and surgery for many people experiencing chronic pain.
- Resources facilitating teaching of psychology wanted for MedEdPORTAL database
Learning and teaching modules are needed to help teach foundational psychological science and train future health practitioners.
- APA President Kaslow explains results of Good Governance Project
Watch Nadine Kaslow, PhD, discuss the Council of Representatives' historic actions to create a new model of governance for the association.
- FY 2014 Appropriations Update: Congress Supports Increasing Investment in Graduate Psychology Education
More than $7 million has been appropriated for the mental and behavioral health program at the Health Resources and Services Administration.
- APA and HIV association collaborate to produce special magazine issue on HIV and mental health
Psychology’s role in helping to prevent and treat HIV/AIDS took the spotlight in an issue of HIV Specialist, the magazine of the American Academy of HIV Medicine.
- PsycINFO staff host training webinars for students
Free monthly webinars help students become more familiar with and learn how better to use APA’s research databases.
Election Office Update
- APA 2014 board and committee nominations
Nominate a peer for a governance position in APA.
From APA Publishing
- A Primer for ICD-10-CM Users
This book provides clinicians with a brief introduction to the World Health Organization's ICD-10-CM and readies them for upcoming revisions, including the transition to the ICD-11.
- Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder and Its Spectrum
Obsessive–compulsive spectrum disorders are conditions that, while not meeting diagnostic criteria for obsessive–compulsive disorder, share many similar symptoms. This book reviews the latest research on these conditions and provides evidence-based guidance for assessment and treatment.
- The Neuroscience of Risky Decision Making
This book advances basic understanding and scientific theory about the brain mechanisms underlying risky decision making, paving the way for translation of science into practice and policy.
Continuing Education in Psychology
- APA Professional Development Training Institute
Prepare now for the new mandates: Understanding the ICF-10 and DSM-5.
Calls for Nominations and Applications
- Psychologist with expertise in health behaviors or physical health sought for APA Clinical Practice Guideline steering committee
Deadline for nominations is Feb. 28, 2014.
- APA Achievement Award for Early Career Professionals
The program is designed to encourage first time attendance and increase representation of early career members at the APA convention.
- Mentorship program for graduate students and postdocs at 2014 APA convention
Application deadline is March 15, 2014.
- Advanced Training Institutes (ATIs)
Advanced Training Institutes expose psychological scientists to emerging technologies and the most current research methodologies.
Featured APA job opening
Associate Executive Director, Accreditation
Applications are being accepted for an associate executive director to lead and oversee staff working in the APA Education Directorate Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation.
Speaking of Psychology
"Speaking of Psychology" is an audio podcast series that gives psychologists the opportunity to talk about their work and share their insights.
Episode 6: Molecules and morals: learning the link (Paul Zak, PhD)